For Prospective Parents
- http://childbirthconnection.org/article contains a Guide to Effective Care During Pregnancy and Childbirth which is an overview of the best available research on specific maternity practices.
- http://www.pennysimkin.com The Seduction Of Induction is a very good presentation on induction of labor, history, physiology, why done and how to avoid.
- www.motherfriendly.org is the site of the Coalition for the Improvement of Maternity Services and contains up-to-date research on obstetrical interventions.
- www.imbci.org/ShowPage.asp?id=174 International Mother Baby Childbirth Initiative: 1O Steps to Optimal Maternity Services.
- www.childbirthconnection.org has answers for every question you might have about pregnancy and birth and also includes a document on birth rights.
- www.infochoice.org MIDIRS Informed choice - provides you with an objective appraisal of the best available scientific evidence in birth.
- www.cochrane.org for information on evidence based medical practice.
- www.childbirth.org The Magazine of Pregnancy Birth and Breastfeeding.
- http://www.fogsi.org Federation of obstetrics and gynecological societies of India - fogsi which contains OB/GYN ethics statement.
Birth In The Press
Events And Culture
- http://www.birthrites.org.uk/uploads/files/launchinvite An invitation from the Glasgow Science Centre and Birth Rites Exhibition to the launch and preview of Birth Rites - an art exhibition exploring the politics and practice of childbirth.
- http://www.bu.edu/bhlp The Boston Healing Landscape Project maps amazing healing traditions. In Boston, Vietnamese monk shamans, Haitian mambos and oungans, Episcopalian healing services, Cuban santeros, Puerto Rican espiritistas and Pentacostal faith healers, African American root doctors, Irish charismatic priests, and Chinese herbalist-acupuncturists are all within blocks of each other, and of some of the leading biomedical teaching hospitals in the nation.
- www.birthonlaborday.com information about the New York playwright Karen Brody's quite accurate play on women's experiences of childbirth - not at all polemical, compassionate and reflecting concerns about the quality of women's birth experiences.
- http://www.metaformia.com is an online journal on menstruation and culture-fascinating, feminist and hip to the centrality of menstrual synchrony as the foundation of human culture. Especially see The Swallowed Mother: C-Sections, Metaforms and Male Cuts by Nan� Ariadne Jordan
- HypnoBirthing is a program to train people of empower women and their partners during a special time of their life - Pregnancy and Birthing.
- http://www.themidwife.net Provides a menu of YouTube videos related to home birth, mid-wifery and health issues in general.
- Prevent Cesarean Surgery
- Child Birth Connection
Childbirth Connection is a United States not-for-profit organization founded in 1918 as Maternity Center Association. Their mission is to improve the quality of maternity care through research, education, advocacy and policy. Childbirth Connection promotes safe, effective and satisfying evidence-based maternity care and provides valuable information for childbearing women and their families.
- Birth On A Labor Day
It is the website for BOLDBIRTH (Birth on Labor Day). Birth is a play based on over one hundred interviews New York playwright Karen Brody conducted with mothers across America who gave birth between 2000-2004. It tells the true stories of 8 women painting a portrait of how low-risk, educated women are giving birth in America today. Birth was performed in cities throughout the US on their Labor Day September 1. In 2006 Matrika organized a performance in Delhi. It is amazing how middle and upperclass Indian women's experiences in childbirth are similar to those in the US.
- India: A second opinion; Frontline
This series of articles and videos gives an introduction into Ayurveda, from an outsider's point of view. Knowledge of Ayurveda is helpful in understanding many indigenous midwifery practices, even though Vaidyas do not conduct births. The center described in Coimbatore is beginning to offer Ayurvedic obstetrical services. They have found that their providing pre-natal care is not sufficient to guarantee a 'good birth' within other hospitals with obstetricians who practice bio-medicine.
- Home Births in Mumbai
- C-Section in Mumbai
- In Peru, they deliver on their feet
- Rise of the 'freebirthers': the mothers defying their doctors
- Prenatal Reflexology
- Another case of botched delivery in Mumbai